Here are my top 5 highlights of the week spent in my garden!
1. My Pumpkin and corn seeds that I sowed about a fortnight ago have sprouted and are ready to be repotted! You can see the white roots growing through the base of the tray already. I am looking forward to growing these little guys.
2. I bought my sister a plant as a fun gift and it is the first plant she has ever potted up. Hopefully this Kalanchoe blossfeldiana will grow for her.
3. Later this week I will have a blog post going up about the Diggers garden nursery. While I was there I stumbled across the ‘Wasabi’ plant that I have been hunting for a long time! I am looking forward to when I am able to start harvesting and making my own wasabi paste.
4. Lately it seems like I have been digging up a lot of rabbit holes in my veggie patch. Every time I go to plant a herb or clean my veggie patch, the soil caves in and reveals a rabbit burrow. This time I came across two rabbit burrows in one day, and out of one of the burrows ran three baby bunnies! In the photo below is one of the rabbit burrows that I stumbled across, and the entrance is a good foot long.
5. My radishes that I planted out about a month ago are ready to be harvested! Usually I let them swell to about 1cm wide and 1-2cm long. Unfortunately, if you let them get too big the texture and flavor won’t be as nice. I am looking forward to adding fresh radish into my salads and cooked meals.
By Bonnie-Marie Hibbs