Here are my top 5 highlights from the past week.
1. After two days of pulling out weeds, my citrus grove is looking a hundred times better! In an attempt to control the lawn and stop it from growing into the grove, this past weekend was spent installing garden edging.
2. My pink rock orchids, Thelychiton kingianus, which was formally known as Dendrobium kingianum, are starting to bloom. This is the first time they have flowered after being re-located/transplanted late last year.
3. This not-so-little caterpillar, approximately 7-8 cm long, was sprinting through the grass. I do not know what species this caterpillar is or what he will evolve into, but this giant caterpillar was an exciting find and we were lucky to have saved him from being gobbled up by our chickens.
4. I planted this Cercis canadensis, Forest Pansy, this time last year. This is the first time that I have been rewarded with its delicate pink blossoms. What I particularly love about this tree are the clusters of flower buds that form all over the branches and stems. It entices you with a beautiful display of flowers in the spring.
5. Everywhere I look in the garden there are patches of baby blue flowers, which yells out ‘spring is here’. This is the flower of the Forget Me Not, Myosotis alpestris.
By Bonnie-Marie Hibbs