Here are my top 5 highlights from the past week in the garden!
1. In the last few weeks we have been planting over 80 French lavender plants, Lavandula dentata, along our citrus grove. Because they are newly planted I have been cutting off any flowers that have started to form. This is because I want them to put on as much new growth as as they can before the summer. As a result I have managed to collect a bunch of Lavender, and later this week I will be drying them out to make lavender bags!
2. All the rose bushes have been flowering beautifully this season! A lot of the David Austin roses are in full bloom with plenty more flower buds on the way. My roses are due to have another feed of ‘Sudden Impact for Roses,’ and the garden beds are in need of some new mulch before summer kicks in.
3. Spring and summer are my favourite seasons. Being out in the garden on a warm sunny day is my ideal way to spend a weekend. But what I particularly love about this time of year is the display of flowers that cacti and succulents are showing in garden. I am really excited to share with you all a on Tuesday w photo for ‘Nature’s Pic of the Week’ of one of my most loved cacti plants! But here are a few snaps of what is currently flowering in my cacti house!
4. My Gymea Lily, Doryanthes excelsa, has finally come into full flower!
The bud first started to emerge back in April of this year and it has taken 8 months for the bud to completely open to reveal these beautiful red flowers!
It was worth the wait!
5. As the spring nights are getting warmer the sunsets are becoming more beautiful! In the last two days I have seen these two sunsets!
By Bonnie-Marie Hibbs