Here are the top 5 highlights from my garden this past week!
- It has become tradition every summer to make a fresh batch of blackberry jam with what we collect from our property. But it has been a slow start to the season for the blackberry bushes. Due to the extreme heat we experienced a few weeks ago most of the ripening fruit got burnt. Unfortunately this year we might not be able to harvest enough to make the jam.
2. It has been hard watching my garden suffer due to the heat and lack of rain. But it is always a delight to see something thrive, even in the hardest conditions. Seeing the brilliant red bloom of my Scadoxus pole-evansii bulb was the highlight of the week.
3. These poor sunflowers that I sowed a few months ago never got the chance to be planted out into the garden. Mainly due to my lack of time in the garden. The flower heads will be stored for seed collection and sown in September. It is amazing how quickly the plants grow and just how much attention they require during the summer.
4. After a late prune in spring and a good feed the roses are finally blooming again! Here is a picture of the hybrid tea rose ‘Blue Moon’.
5. This barrel cactus was a Christmas gift and is getting ready to be re-potted into a larger pot before it gets placed into the cacti house. It is going to take a lot of bubble wrap and cardboard to transplant this little guy.
By Bonnie-Marie Hibbs